This Page

has been moved to new address

Top Ten Tuesday: Childhood Favorites

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Through the Looking Glass: Top Ten Tuesday: Childhood Favorites

Monday, December 19, 2011

Top Ten Tuesday: Childhood Favorites


Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly event hosted by The Broke and the Bookish, where we share our top-ten lists!


Percy Jackson and the Olympians
The Last Olympian (Percy Jackson and the Olympians, #5)This series is probably one of the best I had the luck of experiencing at a young age. This is how I recognized my love of mythology and books based on it. The whole world of Mount Olympus and Camp Half-Blood enchanted me and I got so easily lost in the pages, even if I was reading in a class full of chattering kids.
Harry Potter
Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (Harry Potter, #3) There are countless ways I can say that this series has affected my life, good ways. The trials that Harry went through as well as the loyalty of Hermione, Ron, and eventually the entire Gryfinndor House, really inspired me to be a better person. When I was younger, I found myself asking, what would Hermione do? This applies to my life still, as I admire every character in one way or another.
                                                             Nancy Drew

Nancy Drew wThe Clue of the Broken Locket (Nancy Drew, #11)as like my best friend in elementary school. While I had other friends, I always wanted to spend my time deeply investigating the mysteries of amateur detective, Nancy Drew. She was the picture-perfect aspiration of what I wanted to be when I grew up. The adventures she went on and her insatiable appetite for solving hidden riddles/mysteries fueled my intense love for reading and brought it to a new level.
Carnival at Candlelight (Magic Tree House, #33)      Magic Tree House


When I first started being able to read chapter books, I chose the Magic Tree House books to start. They were so magical and entrancing to the younger me. Every book had the same basic sequence of events, but somehow I loved every minute of every page, and the illustrations too. The whole involvement with Merlin really made me read more and more of them, just to see what missions he would send Jack and Annie on, and they would always be back before dinner.




           Hank Zipzer


Hank Zipzer #11: The Curtain Went Up, My Pants Fell Down
My fourth grade teacher first introduced this book series to us. She would spend thirty minutes a day reading from it and we would be laughing so hard, it was my favorite part of the day. I eventually read some on my own and would get the stink-eye from my teacher when I started trying to stifle my laughter.

The Seeing Stone (The Spiderwick Chronicles, #2)The Spiderwick Chronicles

My second grade teacher began reading the first book in this series to us shortly after it arrived at the library. I loved it! Fantasy really wasn’t defined well for me until I listened to the first and read the rest on my own. Old houses always attract me to read more for some reason.



A Series of Unfortunate Events

The Wide Window (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #3)




This series is so imaginative and ironic. My love of irony, I think, sprouted from the absurd paradoxes laced throughout this series. I remember that the Wide Window was the first book more than a hundred pages that I completed on my own. It was a very important milestone for me!



Meet Kit: An American Girl : 1934 (American Girls Collection)

American Girl Books

I first read an American Girl book a while after I got Molly, my first AG. The books I almost liked better than the dolls, especially the more historical ones. They had illustrations, which, funnily, made me feel like I was reading faster.


The Chronicles of Narnia (#1-7)The Chronicles of   Narnia

This book series was so beloved to me. The whole idea of escaping through a wardrobe into an amazing world with fauns and talking beavers made my child imagination soar to new heights. The symbolism used was quite fascinating as well.

Junie B., First Grader: Toothless Wonder (Junie B. Jones, #20)
Junie B. Jones


At school, I was part of a reading group that would sit at a table and read out of class for an hour every day, and these were the books we would read. Junie was the perfect book character, I thought back then.




What books did you enjoy as a child?






 

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment!

I read all the comments posted and appreciate that you took the time to share your thoughts! I try to reply to all of them as well.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home